Nixon First United Methodist Church
Tuesday, March 19, 2019
A Welcoming Congregation

Our History

This congregation began life at Old Rancho, about a mile north of present day Nixon, in 1906.  We moved to Nixon in 1907, a year after the railroad came here. 
In 1923, a storm severely damaged the church, and so we held services in the Johnson building over Hewell’s Drug Store (now Main Drug) until 1924, when we constructed the Annex.  Builders used materials from the storm damage to construct this fellowship hall, and this is why it has stained glass windows.  Today the Annex houses the Adult Sunday School Class and our offices.  In 1925, we had a new sanctuary constructed, and to this day it continues to be one of the most beautiful period interiors in the Rio Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church.
We built the parsonage in 1951, and dedicated a four-classroom building in 1956.  We finished a complete redecoration of the sanctuary in 1957.  In 1963, we had built two tennis courts and a paved parking area east of the church.  In 2003, we added a ramp for persons with handicap conditions to the parsonage and we re-roofed all of our buildings.  We created this website in 2007.  We refurbished the donated former Masonic Lodge and consecrated it as the Richardson Christian Center in 2009.  2016 brought another round of roof repairs to the Education Building, the Annex, and most of Sanctuary, following a severe windstorm during the summer.  Sunday, Sept 3, 2017, we rededicated the Annex following an extensive renovation which included building a "bridge" from the Sanctuary to the Annex complete with stained glass windows, handicap ramps, the Annex interior was completely remodeled and new restroom facilities were added.  The Sanctuary Building, bridge, and Annex all received a new coat of paint...we are no longer the pink church.  Visit our Facebook page, Nixon First UMC, for pictures of the dedication and the remodeled building.
"We" are a congregation that has a past and a future that God has placed before us, and we are willing to add more pages to the history both of our congregation and of the community in and surrounding Nixon.  Come and see; come and live.